Affichage des articles dont le libellé est sonic attacks. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est sonic attacks. Afficher tous les articles

vendredi 25 mai 2018

China's Dirty Crimes: Sonic Experiments

US embassy worker's brain injury in China appears similar to those sustained by diplomats in Cuba 'sonic attacks'.
AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US was moving medical teams to China over the 'sonic attack' 

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said a brain injury sustained by an American official in a "sonic attack" in China was similar to those that affected US and Canadian diplomats in Cuba.
Pompeo's remarks on Wednesday came hours after the US embassy in China issued a health warning to Americans living in the country an "unusual" auditory or sensory phenomena.
The embassy said a US government employee in the southern city of Guangzhou reported experiencing a "subtle and vague, but abnormal, sensations of sound and pressure", which led to a mild brain injury.
Pompeo told the House Foreign Affairs Committee the "sonic attack" in China was similar to the incidents in Cuba last year.
"The medical indications are very similar and entirely consistent with the medical indications that have taken place to Americans working in Cuba," he said.
The US was moving medical teams to the area to work on the case, he said.
"We are working to figure out what took place both in Havana and now in China as well," Pompeo said.
In Washington for talks with Pompeo, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the US should avoid politicising the case.
"We don't want to see that this individual case would be magnified, complicated or even politicised," Wang told reporters.

'Variety of symptoms'
Heather Nauert, the state department spokeswoman, said the US embassy learned on Friday that the Guangzhou employee showed concussion symptoms after medical testing.
That is the same clinical finding doctors treating the Cuba patients at the University of Philadelphia found.
The Guangzhou worker started experiencing "a variety of symptoms" starting in late 2017 that lasted through April this year, Nauert said.
The worker was sent to the US for further evaluation, she added.
In Cuba last year, 24 diplomats and their family members were left with mysterious injuries resembling brain trauma, which were suspected of being caused by a "sonic attack".
Ten Canadian diplomats and their relatives also suffered similar illnesses.
The still-unexplained incidents sparked a rift in US-Cuban relations, while investigators have chased theories including a sonic attack, an electromagnetic weapon, or a flawed spying device.
Symptoms, sounds and sensations reportedly varied dramatically from person to person, according to The Associated Press.
Some have permanent hearing loss or concussions, while others suffered nausea, headaches and ear-ringing. 
Some struggle with concentration or common word recall.

mercredi 23 mai 2018

Chinese Aggressions

US warns staff in China: Beware of unusual sounds
BBC News
The affected staff member reportedly worked at the US consulate in Guangzhou

The US state department has urged its staff in China to alert them to any abnormal hearing or vision issues after one employee reported mystery symptoms.
The person experienced "subtle and vague, but abnormal, sensations of sound and pressure", a statement said.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the incident was "medically similar" to suspected sonic attacks on diplomatic staff in Cuba.
China-US relations have been strained recently, amid fears of a trade war.
The state department said it was taking the incident "very seriously", but the US has not accused China of being behind it.

What happened in China?
Embassy spokeswoman Jinnie Lee said the employee had suffered a "variety of physical symptoms" between late 2017 and April 2018 while working at the US consulate in the city of Guangzhou.
The employee was sent back to the US, and on 18 May the embassy learnt that they had been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), Ms Lee added.
"We do not currently know what caused the reported symptoms and we are not aware of any similar situations in China, either inside or outside of the diplomatic community," the US diplomatic statement said.
"The US government is taking these reports seriously and has informed its official staff in China of this event," it said.
The statement continues with a warning: "While in China, if you experience any unusual acute auditory or sensory phenomena accompanied by unusual sounds or piercing noises, do not attempt to locate their source. Instead, move to a location where the sounds are not present."
Ms Lee said the Chinese government had given assurances that it was also investigating and taking appropriate measures.

Was this a sonic attack?
Parallels have been drawn with the suspected sonic attacks in Havana.
Mr Pompeo told the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee: "The medical indications are very similar and entirely consistent with the medical indications that have taken place to Americans working in Cuba."
He added that medical teams were on their way to Guangzhou to investigate.
"We are working to figure out what took place, both in Havana and in now in China as well," Mr Pompeo said.
"We've asked the Chinese for their assistance in doing that and they have committed to honouring their commitments under the Vienna convention to keep American foreign service officers safe."
He added there was nothing so far to link the China incident directly to Cuba.
"We cannot at this time connect it with what happened in Havana but we are investigating all possibilities," a US embassy official in Beijing told AFP news agency on condition of anonymity.


Types of sonic weapon

Infrasound - below 20Hz

  • at frequencies too low for humans to hear
  • if very loud can cause vertigo, vomiting or uncontrollable defecation
  • would need huge racks of speakers to be effective

Ultrasound - above 20,000Hz
  • easier to target
  • possible to direct sound through walls
  • risk of affecting people other than those targeted, including person carrying out attack
What happened in Cuba?
In November 2016, US diplomats based in Cuba started to complain of odd ailments, including dizziness, nausea and hearing problems.
More than 20 members of staff in Havana were harmed in the "health attacks", according to the state department. 
At least two Canadians were also affected.
The US has held Cuba responsible, either for allowing the suspected attacks to happen or for carrying them out itself.