Affichage des articles dont le libellé est US consulate. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est US consulate. Afficher tous les articles

vendredi 8 juin 2018

China's Sonic War

U.S. Consulate under Chinese sonic attacks: More U.S. casualties have been evacuated from Guangzhou
BY C. DANIELLE BIZIER 

More U.S. citizens have been evacuated from a U.S. consulate in Guangzhou, China, after suffering what appears to be the same strange, sound-related illness that afflicted consulate workers in Cuba. The New York Times reported that consulate worker Mark Lenzi and his wife heard strange noises over the course of several months before falling ill with what they described as neurological symptoms
On Wednesday night they were flown to the U.S. with their children, including a three-year-old son who was also affected.
Speaking to The Washington Post that same day, Lenzi described the sound as being like “marbles bouncing and hitting a floor then rolling on an incline with a static sound.” 
The Lenzis reached out to their neighbors to see if the sound was coming from their home but the neighbor denied it. 
Several months after the sounds began, the Lenzis began to develop migraine like headaches and suffer from sleep deprivation. 
Medical professionals at the consulate prescribed sleeping pills to help with the insomnia.
In May, Lenzi found out that the same neighbor had been evacuated after exhibiting the same symptoms. 
He was checked and diagnosed with a “mild traumatic brain injury,” the State Department said in a statement. 
That statement also said the government did not know of any other cases — which according to Lenzi, was a lie. 
He told The Washington Post that he he’d filed several reports with both the consulate and the State Department.
Lenzi also contends that his security clearance was frozen after he attempted to bring attention to the issue, effectively barring him from work at the consulate, and that he is now calling for the resignation of the U.S. ambassador to China, who is based in Beijing.
The New York Times is also reporting that a State Department medical team flew to Guangzhou and is performing tests on other employees and their family members — some 170 workers in total at the site, plus their family members.
If this case sound eerily familiar, it should. 
In 2016, 24 people — all embassy workers and their families there – suffered the same symptoms at the U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba
Those symptoms included dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, cognitive issues, visual problems, ear complaints and hearing loss, and difficulty sleeping, the State Department said at the time. 
Tests concluded that they had suffered injuries consistent with concussion or minor brain injury.
In the wake of the initial illnesses, speculation on the cause included the possibility of targeted sonic attacks that might cause such disruption. 
The U.S., blaming Havana, expelled Cuban dignitaries following the incident. 
Additional theories include bacterial poisoning, neurotoxins, and surveillance devices that emit disabling sounds.
On Tuesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the launch of The Health Incidents Response Task Force, which had been created to respond to the unexplained ailments, including testing workers and families at the Guangzhou consulate. 
The task force’s role includes “identification and treatment of affected personnel and family members, investigation and risk mitigation, messaging, and diplomatic outreach.”
On May 24, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a regular press briefing that China had investigated the initial May 16 case, but had not found a reason for the illness. 
The Russians have a history of using toxins against the foreign diplomatic corps, but the Chinese have stayed primarily in the lanes of active and aggressive surveillance. 
Some attachés tell stories of playing along with the status quo by asking aloud in their homes for help finding missing items such as car keys and glasses. 
They would leave the home after the request for a few moments and return to find the items placed conspicuously on their kitchen table. 
The Chinese have never been shy about making sure American diplomats knew they were under constant monitoring — though before now, the most aggressive tales involved State Department officials returning home to find someone had defected in their toilet and left it without flushing.
The potential sonic attacks we are now beginning to see are more reminiscent of Cold War era Soviet tactics — but perhaps par for the course of the ever-growing tensions.

mercredi 23 mai 2018

Chinese Aggressions

US warns staff in China: Beware of unusual sounds
BBC News
The affected staff member reportedly worked at the US consulate in Guangzhou

The US state department has urged its staff in China to alert them to any abnormal hearing or vision issues after one employee reported mystery symptoms.
The person experienced "subtle and vague, but abnormal, sensations of sound and pressure", a statement said.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the incident was "medically similar" to suspected sonic attacks on diplomatic staff in Cuba.
China-US relations have been strained recently, amid fears of a trade war.
The state department said it was taking the incident "very seriously", but the US has not accused China of being behind it.

What happened in China?
Embassy spokeswoman Jinnie Lee said the employee had suffered a "variety of physical symptoms" between late 2017 and April 2018 while working at the US consulate in the city of Guangzhou.
The employee was sent back to the US, and on 18 May the embassy learnt that they had been diagnosed with mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI), Ms Lee added.
"We do not currently know what caused the reported symptoms and we are not aware of any similar situations in China, either inside or outside of the diplomatic community," the US diplomatic statement said.
"The US government is taking these reports seriously and has informed its official staff in China of this event," it said.
The statement continues with a warning: "While in China, if you experience any unusual acute auditory or sensory phenomena accompanied by unusual sounds or piercing noises, do not attempt to locate their source. Instead, move to a location where the sounds are not present."
Ms Lee said the Chinese government had given assurances that it was also investigating and taking appropriate measures.

Was this a sonic attack?
Parallels have been drawn with the suspected sonic attacks in Havana.
Mr Pompeo told the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee: "The medical indications are very similar and entirely consistent with the medical indications that have taken place to Americans working in Cuba."
He added that medical teams were on their way to Guangzhou to investigate.
"We are working to figure out what took place, both in Havana and in now in China as well," Mr Pompeo said.
"We've asked the Chinese for their assistance in doing that and they have committed to honouring their commitments under the Vienna convention to keep American foreign service officers safe."
He added there was nothing so far to link the China incident directly to Cuba.
"We cannot at this time connect it with what happened in Havana but we are investigating all possibilities," a US embassy official in Beijing told AFP news agency on condition of anonymity.


Types of sonic weapon

Infrasound - below 20Hz

  • at frequencies too low for humans to hear
  • if very loud can cause vertigo, vomiting or uncontrollable defecation
  • would need huge racks of speakers to be effective

Ultrasound - above 20,000Hz
  • easier to target
  • possible to direct sound through walls
  • risk of affecting people other than those targeted, including person carrying out attack
What happened in Cuba?
In November 2016, US diplomats based in Cuba started to complain of odd ailments, including dizziness, nausea and hearing problems.
More than 20 members of staff in Havana were harmed in the "health attacks", according to the state department. 
At least two Canadians were also affected.
The US has held Cuba responsible, either for allowing the suspected attacks to happen or for carrying them out itself.