Affichage des articles dont le libellé est ChemChina. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est ChemChina. Afficher tous les articles

jeudi 28 septembre 2017

China Threat

Siemens and Alstom Form European Train Giant to Beat Chinese Competition
By JACK EWING and LIZ ALDERMAN

Siemens Alstom would make systems and equipment for two of Europe’s high-speed rail lines, Germany’s ICE and France’s TGV, which can zip between cities at about 185 m.p.h.

FRANKFURT — Once, the merger of two iconic European companies might well have been derailed by regional political rivalries. 
But in the case of a deal between Siemens and Alstom, those concerns have receded in the face of a larger threat: China.
The proposed merger of Europe’s two largest train makers, one German and one French, demonstrated on Wednesday that economic imperatives are pushing the Continent together even as populist politicians try to pull it apart.
Siemens, a German electronics and engineering giant, and France’s Alstom, a maker of the high-speed TGV, said late Tuesday that they will merge their units that make trains, streetcars and signaling systems. 
The deal is backed by the French government, and the two companies provided details of the deal the following day.
The new company, to be called Siemens Alstom, is a response to intensifying competition from China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation, the state-backed train maker that has been winning contracts in the United States and emerging markets where mass transit is a fast-growing business.
The company’s success is emblematic of China’s increasing economic power, which, combined with a more isolationist American foreign policy, is forcing European leaders to violate old taboos in order to improve the functioning of the European Union and its economy.
“The message of this merger is that the European spirit is alive,” Joe Kaeser, the chief executive of Siemens, said at a news conference in Paris on Wednesday. 
“That’s a powerful message in times that are marked by populism and nationalism and social and political divides.”
The announcement comes just days after a far right party won seats in the German Parliament for the first time since World War II. 
On Tuesday, Emmanuel Macron, the French president, called for “the rebuilding of a sovereign, united and democratic Europe” that would include stronger border controls but also a European budget large enough to help countries in economic trouble.
Competition from China has already been a factor in other big European mergers. 
Last week, the German steel giant ThyssenKrupp said it would merge its European steel operations into a joint venture with Tata Steel
And last year, Nokia of Finland acquired Alcatel-Lucent, a French maker of telecommunications equipment, in part to address intense competition from China’s Huawei.
Other sectors, like shipbuilding or semiconductors, could also be ripe for mergers.
Mr. Macron has made competition from China a central focus of his European policy drive. 
This year, he proposed Europe-wide scrutiny of any new major stakes by Chinese companies in European industrial jewels, but was met with resistance by small countries like Greece and Hungary, which are eager for new investment.
The French president and other European leaders have grown increasingly alarmed that the E.U. is ceding control of advanced technology to China. 
In a recent speech in Athens, Mr. Macron called for strengthening the bloc into a “power that can face the U.S. and China.”
Those concerns deepened after a state-owned Chinese chemical company, ChemChina, bought the Swiss pesticides and seeds group Syngenta this summer for $43 billion. 
The Chinese state-backed shipping conglomerate Cosco recently took a majority stake in Greece’s Piraeus port to anchor China’s New Silk Road through Europe. 
Germany itself has been no stranger to takeover bids by Chinese state-backed firms.
Just weeks ago, Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany tightened rules to limit takeovers of German strategic assets, a move aimed at Beijing.
Chinese competition was a driving factor in Mr. Macron’s backing to seal a deal between Alstom and Siemens, despite outcries from political opponents in France that he was handing over a French icon to the Germans.
“The big story here is the French willingness to let this happen,” said Mikko Huotari, director of the international relations program at the Mercator Institute for China Studies in Berlin. 
“Alstom is one of the crown jewels of French industry.”
The Siemens-Alstom deal is in part a bid that being bigger may be a better way to counter China Railway Rolling Stock, known as CRRC, which has grown into the world’s largest and most competitive maker of railway equipment. 
The European company could yet grow further: Ahead of Tuesday’s announcement, there had been speculation that Siemens could link up with Bombardier of Canada. 
On Wednesday, Mr. Kaeser of Siemens did not rule out that Bombardier could later become part of the combined company.
Still, with sales of over $33 billion last year and 180,000 employees worldwide, CRRC is bigger than the train businesses of Siemens, Alstom and Bombardier combined.
Last year, the Chinese company secured contracts to build 64 subway cars for the city of São Paulo, and sold more than 800 railway cars to Chicago for $1.3 billion, winning the deal by submitting a cheap bid with good technology.
“Of course CRRC is extremely strong, and has changed a little bit the picture of the market,” Henri Poupart-Lafarge, the chief executive of Alstom, told reporters Wednesday.
Mr. Poupart-Lafarge will be chief executive of the new company, which will have its headquarters in Paris. 
The Mobility Solutions unit of Siemens Alstom, which provides systems to control rail traffic and is more profitable than the unit that makes trains and streetcars, will be based in Berlin.
The new company will have annual revenue of €15.3 billion, an order backlog valued at €61.2 billion and more than 62,000 employees worldwide.
Alstom in particular is a symbol of national technological might for the French, with high-speed TGV trains racing across the countryside, and Eurostar trains connecting Paris to London in just over two hours through the Eurotunnel.
While populist parties such as the National Front are hostile to closer political ties in the European Union, they are less likely to oppose corporate mergers that protect European companies from foreign competition.
Pro-European political leaders like Mr. Macron have themselves not been averse to government intervention to protect jobs at home.
Despite pledges to be less protectionist than his predecessors, Mr. Macron has shown a willingness to involve the state in industrial policy by getting involved in big deals. 
Last month, he temporarily nationalized one of France’s biggest shipyards, STX France, to prevent it from being taken over by an Italian competitor.
As France’s economy minister, he pushed through a government plan last year to order €630 million worth of new TGV trains — most of which were not calibrated to run on faster tracks — from an Alstom factory in the eastern town of Belfort to prevent hundreds of jobs there from moving to another plant.
The Alstom deal with Siemens also reflects, however, a willingness to be flexible to protect broader French interests.
On Tuesday, the country’s finance minister, Bruno Le Maire, said the French government welcomed the deal with Siemens, characterizing it as one that protected French jobs at Alstom.

dimanche 25 juin 2017

Chinese Peril

France's newly elected president wants to curb Chinese takeovers in Europe's strategic industries
Reuters
French President Emmanuel Macron attends a ceremony marking the 77th anniversary of late French General Charles de Gaulle's appeal of June 18, 1940, at the Mont Valerien memorial in Suresnes.

French President Emmanuel Macron vowed on Thursday to convince China’s closest allies in Europe that curbing foreign takeovers in strategic industries was in their interest, warning EU governments not to be naive in global trade.
Smaller eastern and southern European economies that are dependent on Chinese investment have rejected any steps against Beijing, even going as far as to block EU statements criticising China’s human rights record.
But Macron, at his first EU summit, said being an attractive destination for investment did not mean exposing Europe to what he termed “the disorder of globalisation”, as he seeks to make good on a campaign pledge with a so-called protective Europe.
“Things are changing because we see the disorder of globalisation and the consequences in your own country. I want to build an alliance around this idea,” Macron told a news conference during the summit of EU leaders. 
“I am for free trade ... but I am not for naivety.”
State-owned ChemChina’s US$43 billion purchase of Swiss pesticides and seeds group Syngenta, Beijing’s biggest overseas sale to date, has deepened concerns in Europe that the bloc is ceding control of its advanced technology, EU diplomats said.
Macron, who defeated the anti-Europe, far-right leader Marine Le Pen last month, said that he had always been a defender of globalisation and free trade during his time as minister but that leaders should hear from workers hit by globalisation.
The issues of globalisation and “social dumping” took centre-stage in France’s campaign after Le Pen used the relocation of a Whirlpool factory in northern France to Poland to paint Macron as a globalist who did not care about workers.
A free-trade advocate, Macron let several national corporate champions be taken over by foreign firms as a minister. 
But since his election he has sought to drum up support in Europe for what he calls a “protection agenda”.
Logo of Syngenta on it's plant in Muenchwilen.

He has found some support from Germany and Italy. 
EU leaders will agree on Friday to allow the European Commission to explore ways to limit foreign takeovers in areas such as energy, banking and technology, where China seeks Europe’s know-how.
In a statement, leaders will ask the Commission “to examine the need and ways to screen investments from third countries in strategic sectors, while fully respecting members states’ competences,” a reference to national sovereignty on the issue.
Berlin, Paris and Rome are upset that the Commission, the bloc’s competition regulator, approved ChemChina’s purchase of Syngenta while China maintains restrictions on EU investment.
Chinese direct investment in the European Union jumped by 77 per cent last year to more than 35 billion euros (US$38 billion), compared with 2015, while EU acquisitions in China fell for the second consecutive year, according to the Rhodium Group.
But free-trade advocates such as Sweden want to avoid any measures that might contradict the bloc’s rejection of the protectionism promoted by US President Donald Trump.

vendredi 28 octobre 2016

China's overseas takeover spree meets growing resistance

Associated Press

HONG KONG – Corporate China's global shopping binge barreled on this week with more multibillion dollar deals, but Beijing is starting to discover that there are limits to what its money can buy.
In recent days German and European Union officials have moved to tighten up scrutiny or even block high-profile acquisitions in the latest sign of growing opposition to Chinese purchases of companies in key industries due to national security or competition concerns.
Swiss chemical giant Syngenta said Tuesday that EU regulators examining its proposed $43 billion takeover by state-owned ChemChina have "recently requested a large amount of additional information," which will drag the approval process out into the first quarter of next year.
At about the same time, the German government withdrew clearance for a Chinese company to buy semiconductor equipment maker Aixtron in a $670 million deal over unspecified security-related concerns — a decision that threatens to complicate German Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel's trade visit to China next week.
"The surge in Chinese acquisitions of high-tech companies certainly has policymakers on high alert, especially in Germany," said Bjorn Conrad, vice president of research at the Mercator Institute for China Studies in Berlin, which tracks China's overseas investment. 
"That is because China is not playing by the rules."
He said some of the deals reflect a political strategy in which state-owned Chinese companies, spurred by an aggressive outbound industrial policy, unfairly exploit Europe's open markets to gobble up companies with core technologies to speed the country's technological advance.
European policymakers "are not naive when it comes to government-driven acquisitions. They will apply a much higher level of scrutiny in the future," Conrad said.
Chinese companies have invested nearly $200 billion so far this year in overseas firms, almost double the amount for all of 2015, according to Dealogic. 
The transactions have included a German robot maker, a Finnish video game company and an American appliance maker.
Just this week, HNA Group paid $6.5 billion for a 25 percent stake in the Hilton hotel chain, after one of its units earlier this year bought Carlson Hotels, operator of the Radisson and Country Inns & Suites brands. 
Meanwhile, Beijing-based China Oceanwide Holdings Group agreed to buy U.S. insurer Genworth Financial for $2.7 billion.
However, about $40 billion in proposed Chinese purchases has been cancelled since the start of 2015, reflecting resistance to such deals, according to Dealogic.
In Australia, the government blocked a Chinese group from leasing a Sydney electricity grid in an unusual turnaround, citing classified national security reasons. 
The deal involving state-owned State Grid Corp. and Hong Kong-based Cheung Kong Infrastructure group would have earned the government more than 10 billion Australian dollars (then-$7.6 billion).
The August decision was unusual in that the government had initially invited the companies to bid and only rejected them at the last minute on general security concerns unrelated to any specific country, said Hans Hendrischke, a professor at the University of Sydney Business School who specializes in Chinese investment in Australia.
However, "overall, certainly, I think the political outcome is clearly that the perception is created as if all of these are somehow directed against Chinese acquisitions of assets in foreign countries."
The concerns mirror those in the U.S.
Last month, 16 lawmakers wrote to the Government Accountability Office calling for a review of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S., a federal inter-agency panel also known as CFIUS, saying it should be updated or expanded to keep pace with the surge of foreign acquisitions in strategically important sectors.
Specifically, the letter said the committee's powers might need to be widened in light of Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda's recent purchases of U.S. theater chains and the Hollywood studio Legendary Entertainment, citing fears about Beijing's censorship and propaganda efforts.
Tighter scrutiny by CFIUS or the prospect of it has already thwarted some high-tech deals.
State-owned Tsinghua Unisplendour in February scrapped a plan to buy a 15 percent stake in disk drive maker Western Digital, which would have made it the biggest shareholder, after the committee decided to investigate the $3.8 billion investment on national security grounds. 
A month earlier, electronics giant Philips aborted the sale of a majority stake in its LED components and auto lighting business to Chinese investor GO Scale Capital.