Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Veby Mega Indah. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Veby Mega Indah. Afficher tous les articles

mardi 10 décembre 2019

Chinazism

Eye blinded covering Hong Kong protests, Indonesian reporter seeks justice
By Jessie Pang


HONG KONG -- Hit by a projectile fired by Hong Kong police while covering an anti-government protest nearly two months ago, Indonesian journalist Veby Mega Indah was blinded in one eye, but that has not blotted out the traumatic flashbacks filling her mind.
Working as an associate editor for Suara, a newspaper popular with Indonesian migrant workers in Hong Kong, Indah, 39, had been live-streaming in the Bahasa Indonesia language on the frontlines of demonstrations.
At the time of the shooting Indah was reporting on the street protests alongside other journalists from the vantage point of a footbridge. 
She believes she was hit by a rubber bullet. 
Whatever the projectile was, it has caused the permanent loss of sight in her right eye.
“I felt like I could not bear it anymore. I thought it’s going to be my end,” she told Reuters.
Indah recalled hearing fellow journalists behind her shout: “We are journalists, stop shooting at us!”
The Chinese-ruled city has been roiled by more than six months of sometimes violent protests as activists call for greater democracy and an independent inquiry into police actions, among other demands.
Police, who have at times fired rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse demonstrators, say they have shown restraint in the face of escalating violence.
Indah and her legal representative told Reuters they have filed a legal request asking the police to name the officer involved in the incident so they can pursue a civil case, but that they have had no meaningful response so far.
Hong Kong police did not respond to a Reuters request for comment.
While Indah still feels pain, she is adjusting to life with one eye, although she is still haunted by the experience.
“When I was in the hospital, I keep waking up because some images (keep) flashing back ... the projectile keeps coming back and coming back to my right eye,” she said, while holding back tears.
She has been unable to return to work.

jeudi 3 octobre 2019

Live Assassination

Hong Kong police accused of being 'trigger-happy and nuts' as crowds protest shooting of teen
By Greg Norman


A Hong Kong pro-democracy lawmaker is accusing the semi-autonomous region’s police of being “trigger-happy and nuts” after an officer shot a teenage protester at close range in the chest during demonstrations this week.
The blistering criticism comes as hundreds of people and classmates of 18-year-old Tsang Chi-kin rallied outside his school Wednesday, chanting anti-police slogans and demanding accountability.
An officer fired at Tsang Tuesday after the teen struck him with a metal rod – making Tsang the first known victim of police gunfire since the protests began in June, the Associated Press reports.
"The Hong Kong police have gone trigger-happy and nuts," pro-democracy lawmaker Claudia Mo said Wednesday.
"The sensible police response should have been to use a police baton or pepper spray, etc., to fight back,” Mo added, after viewing a video of the incident. 
“It wasn't exactly an extreme situation and the use of a live bullet simply cannot be justified."

Hundreds of students at a Hong Kong college staged a strike Wednesday to condemn the police shooting of a teenager during pro-democracy protests that marred China's National Day. 

Tsang is currently hospitalized and his condition was described by the government as stable on Wednesday.
Sitting crossed-legged, some of his supporters Wednesday held an arm across their chest below their left shoulder — the location of the teenager's gunshot wound. 
One held a hand-written message condemning "thug police."
Schoolmates told the Associated Press that Tsang loves basketball and was passionate about the pro-democracy cause. 
A student who wore a Guy Fawkes mask and declined to be named because of fear of retribution told the Associated Press that Tsang was "like a big brother" to him and other junior students.
"During the protests, we would feel safe if he is around because he was always the first to charge forward and would protect us when we were in danger," the student said.
"I vividly remember him saying that he would rather die than be arrested. What an awful twist of fate that it was he, of all people, who was shot by the police."

Anti-government protesters march at Central district in Hong Kong on Wednesday. 

Hong Kong is a former British colony that's been part of China since 1997 and which Beijing says benefits from autonomy, crediting a "one country, two systems" approach.
The structure allows the city certain democratic rights that are not afforded to people on the mainland — but, in recent years, some in Hong Kong have accused the Communist Party-ruled central government of slowly stripping their freedoms.
Hong Kong police, who have defended the officer's use of force against Tsang as "reasonable and lawful,” says the teenager has been arrested despite being hospitalized and that authorities will decide later whether to press charges.
Police Commissioner Stephen Lo said late Tuesday that the officer had feared for his life and made "a split-second" decision to fire a single shot at close range.
Chinese state media also defended the officer’s actions, with the Xinhua News Agency publishing a commentary early Wednesday calling them “totally legal, legitimate and appropriate,” according to the South China Morning Post.
Yet the warning appeared to fall flat Wednesday as hundreds of black-clad demonstrators also protested at a luxury mall in Kowloon district. 
Elsewhere, more than 1,000 office workers skipped their lunch to join an impromptu march in the city's business district against the police shooting.
British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab criticized the shooting as "disproportionate" and U.S. lawmakers also joined in the condemnation.
Meanwhile, an Indonesian journalist who was shot in the face with a police projectile on Sunday has been left blinded in one eye, her lawyer told the Hong Kong Free Press.
“Doctors treating Ms Veby Mega Indah have today informed her that regrettably the injury she received as a result of being shot by police, will result in permanent blindness in her right eye,” Michael Vidler was quoted as saying. 
“She was informed that the pupil of her eye was ruptured by the force of the impact. The exact percentage of permanent impairment can only be assessed after surgery.”