Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Tomorrow Holdings. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Tomorrow Holdings. Afficher tous les articles

dimanche 12 février 2017

Peking Opera

WITNESSES SAY MISSING CHINA BILLIONAIRE XIAO JIANHUA TAKEN FROM HONG KONG HOTEL IN WHEELCHAIR
BY REUTERS 

The Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong, from which Xiao Jianhua disappeared on January 27.

Missing Sino-Canadian billionaire Xiao Jianhua was whisked in a wheelchair from a luxury Hong Kong hotel in the early hours of Jan 27 with his head covered, a source close to the businessman told Reuters.
Xiao was carried into his own car at the entrance to the Four Seasons serviced apartments in the heart of the Asian financial hub in what appeared to be a "smooth operation", another source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
The comments from the sources confirmed a report in the New York Times on the disappearance of Xiao, who has close ties to senior Chinese officials and their families.
Despite a statement issued in Xiao's name over 10 days ago that he was seeking medical treatment overseas and had not been abducted, his disappearance has rekindled fears over Hong Kong's status as an independent judicial entity of China.
"It is uncertain if Xiao was conscious when he left," the second source said, adding that it took at least a few people to carry the billionaire into the car.
"There was no struggle in the whole process. You could even say it was efficient. It was a smooth operation."
Reuters could not independently verify the circumstances at the time Xiao was taken out of the hotel or the condition of his health.
Assistants of Xiao were waiting in the lobby of the hotel's serviced apartments when at least five people, dressed in casual attire, came in, said the second source, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.
The group, which media have reported were mainland Chinese agents, were escorted to Xiao's room by his assistants and they left shortly after with the businessman and some luggage, the second source said.
The source close to Xiao who said the billionaire left the hotel in a wheelchair said his head was covered with some cloth, but it was not clear what the material was. 
The source added that as far as he knew Xiao did not use a wheelchair and there was nothing wrong with his legs.
A Hong Kong police source who was briefed on the probe into Xiao's disappearance had previously told Reuters the case was initially treated as a "kidnapping" following a complaint from someone connected to Xiao.
But after a review of CCTV footage at the Four Seasons and at the border checkpoint, police concluded that Xiao had voluntarily left Hong Kong.
They said Xiao had entered mainland China through a border checkpoint on Jan 27 and that they were seeking more information on the case from Chinese authorities.
Police and the Four Seasons did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Saturday.
China's Ministry of State Security, Foreign Ministry and Public Security Bureau have so far not responded to Reuters requests for comment on whether Chinese agents were involved in Xiao's disappearance.

CORRUPTION CRACKDOWN

Xiao's disappearance has sparked widespread media speculation that he has been drawn into Xi Jinping's crackdown on corruption, which has ensnared a string of Chinese executives.
Any indication that Xiao may have been forcibly removed from the former British colony would be a breach of the "one country, two systems" framework under which it has been governed since its return to mainland Chinese rule in 1997.
Xiao's case has already spooked many mainland Chinese working in the city, with some already making contingency plans and seeking advice on moving assets overseas.
Another source close to Xiao said his immediate family and the company's senior executives witnessed nothing unusual ahead of his disappearance.
Xiao's wife and brother were not in Hong Kong when he left the Four Seasons, the third source said, declining to say where they were at the time.
They immediately rushed back to Hong Kong, the source said.
"Everybody freaked out," the source said. 
"Nobody knew where he went, nobody knew what was happening."
Xiao's wife and brother have already "fled" Hong Kong to Canada, according to the third source.
Xiao's family, company executives and lawyers wrote a statement in Xiao's name "in a rush" to quell speculation that the billionaire had been kidnapped, the source said.
The statement, published on the front page of Hong Kong's Ming Pao newspaper five days after he went missing, said he was seeking medical treatment "outside the country" and "had not been abducted to the mainland."
It is uncertain if the family had been in touch with Xiao when the statement was drafted.
Outside law enforcement agencies, including those from mainland China, are not authorized to operate in Hong Kong, which enjoys wide-ranging freedoms not allowed on the mainland, including a separate legal system.
Police commissioner Lo Wai-chung said in a radio talk show last Saturday that there was no sign of mainland authorities enforcing the law in Hong Kong.
Xiao, who runs Tomorrow Holdings, a financial group headquartered in Beijing, was ranked 32nd on the 2016 Hurun China rich list, China's equivalent of the Forbes list, with an estimated net worth of $5.97 billion.
At least two of Tomorrow Group's statements posted after Xiao's disappearance on their social media account were deleted, pointing to what appears to be heightened sensitivity in Beijing over the case.

lundi 6 février 2017

Peking opera

Deleted postings about missing Chinese billionaire hint at tensions
By Julie Zhu and Venus Wu | HONG KONG
An entrance to Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong February 1, 2017, where Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua was last seen on January 27. 

A statement of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua is printed on the front page of local newspaper Ming Pao in Hong Kong, China February 1, 2017. 

Scores of China social media postings about a well-connected billionaire who went missing from a Hong Kong hotel have been deleted, pointing to what appears to be heightened sensitivity in Beijing over the case of Xiao Jianhua.
Mystery surrounds the whereabouts of Xiao, one of China's richest men who has close ties to its leaders and their relatives. 
He was last seen at Hong Kong's Four Seasons hotel in late January, with media saying he was abducted and taken to the mainland.
The case has echoes of the disappearance of five Hong Kong booksellers more than a year ago who had published books critical of China's leaders.
The booksellers' case raised concern about interference by Beijing in Hong Kong and the erosion of its freedoms, guaranteed under a 1997 deal that returned the former British colony to Chinese rule.
Authorities in Beijing have declined to comment on Xiao's case.
Hong Kong's government has also not commented. 
The city's police say they are investigating and have approached Chinese authorities to ascertain his "situation in mainland China".
Xiao's disappearance has sparked widespread media speculation that he has been drawn into Xi Jinping's crackdown on corruption, which has ensnared a string of Chinese executives.
After his disappearance, a statement from him appeared on his company's verified WeChat account saying he had not been abducted and had not been taken to mainland China.
The statement added he was "currently abroad being medically treated". 
Hong Kong police say Xiao crossed the border to mainland China.
When news of Xiao's disappearance in Hong Kong began breaking early last week, searches on Chinese search engines and social media for him generated many results, mostly links to reports related to statements he had issued via his company, Tomorrow Holdings, a financial group headquartered in Beijing.
But those posts and most reports related to Xiao have disappeared, with search results only bringing up reports about him from several weeks earlier.

DELETED POSTS

According to Freewechat.com, which tracks censored or deleted posts on China's biggest social network, WeChat, more than 40 articles with the keyword Xiao Jianhua had been censored since Jan. 30.
A similar number of reports with the word "Mingtianxi", which refers to Tomorrow Group and its subsidiaries, were also deleted.
Tencent Holdings Ltd, which operates WeChat, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A spokesman for Sina, which runs China's Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo, told Reuters it censors and deletes posts according to its code of conduct.
But the spokesman declined to comment on any deleted posts related to Xiao and his business ties.
More social media posts purportedly detailing Xiao's business links with high-profile companies and senior leaders were also deleted over the weekend.
The Chinese government routinely censors the internet, blocking many sites it deems could challenge the rule of the Communist Party or threaten stability.
China's internet regulator did not respond to a request for comment on Monday.
Shares in firms directly or indirectly controlled by Tomorrow Group slumped on Friday, with Baotou Huazi Industry and Xishui Strong Year Co Ltd Inner Mongolia both down the maximum 10 percent.
Shares of Baotou Huazi were down 2.6 percent on Monday, while Xishui Strong Year was down nearly 5 percent.
Xiao was ranked 32nd on the 2016 Hurun China rich list, China's equivalent of the Forbes list, with an estimated net worth of $5.97 billion.