Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Peking opera. Afficher tous les articles
Affichage des articles dont le libellé est Peking opera. Afficher tous les articles

dimanche 12 février 2017

Peking Opera

WITNESSES SAY MISSING CHINA BILLIONAIRE XIAO JIANHUA TAKEN FROM HONG KONG HOTEL IN WHEELCHAIR
BY REUTERS 

The Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong, from which Xiao Jianhua disappeared on January 27.

Missing Sino-Canadian billionaire Xiao Jianhua was whisked in a wheelchair from a luxury Hong Kong hotel in the early hours of Jan 27 with his head covered, a source close to the businessman told Reuters.
Xiao was carried into his own car at the entrance to the Four Seasons serviced apartments in the heart of the Asian financial hub in what appeared to be a "smooth operation", another source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
The comments from the sources confirmed a report in the New York Times on the disappearance of Xiao, who has close ties to senior Chinese officials and their families.
Despite a statement issued in Xiao's name over 10 days ago that he was seeking medical treatment overseas and had not been abducted, his disappearance has rekindled fears over Hong Kong's status as an independent judicial entity of China.
"It is uncertain if Xiao was conscious when he left," the second source said, adding that it took at least a few people to carry the billionaire into the car.
"There was no struggle in the whole process. You could even say it was efficient. It was a smooth operation."
Reuters could not independently verify the circumstances at the time Xiao was taken out of the hotel or the condition of his health.
Assistants of Xiao were waiting in the lobby of the hotel's serviced apartments when at least five people, dressed in casual attire, came in, said the second source, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.
The group, which media have reported were mainland Chinese agents, were escorted to Xiao's room by his assistants and they left shortly after with the businessman and some luggage, the second source said.
The source close to Xiao who said the billionaire left the hotel in a wheelchair said his head was covered with some cloth, but it was not clear what the material was. 
The source added that as far as he knew Xiao did not use a wheelchair and there was nothing wrong with his legs.
A Hong Kong police source who was briefed on the probe into Xiao's disappearance had previously told Reuters the case was initially treated as a "kidnapping" following a complaint from someone connected to Xiao.
But after a review of CCTV footage at the Four Seasons and at the border checkpoint, police concluded that Xiao had voluntarily left Hong Kong.
They said Xiao had entered mainland China through a border checkpoint on Jan 27 and that they were seeking more information on the case from Chinese authorities.
Police and the Four Seasons did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Saturday.
China's Ministry of State Security, Foreign Ministry and Public Security Bureau have so far not responded to Reuters requests for comment on whether Chinese agents were involved in Xiao's disappearance.

CORRUPTION CRACKDOWN

Xiao's disappearance has sparked widespread media speculation that he has been drawn into Xi Jinping's crackdown on corruption, which has ensnared a string of Chinese executives.
Any indication that Xiao may have been forcibly removed from the former British colony would be a breach of the "one country, two systems" framework under which it has been governed since its return to mainland Chinese rule in 1997.
Xiao's case has already spooked many mainland Chinese working in the city, with some already making contingency plans and seeking advice on moving assets overseas.
Another source close to Xiao said his immediate family and the company's senior executives witnessed nothing unusual ahead of his disappearance.
Xiao's wife and brother were not in Hong Kong when he left the Four Seasons, the third source said, declining to say where they were at the time.
They immediately rushed back to Hong Kong, the source said.
"Everybody freaked out," the source said. 
"Nobody knew where he went, nobody knew what was happening."
Xiao's wife and brother have already "fled" Hong Kong to Canada, according to the third source.
Xiao's family, company executives and lawyers wrote a statement in Xiao's name "in a rush" to quell speculation that the billionaire had been kidnapped, the source said.
The statement, published on the front page of Hong Kong's Ming Pao newspaper five days after he went missing, said he was seeking medical treatment "outside the country" and "had not been abducted to the mainland."
It is uncertain if the family had been in touch with Xiao when the statement was drafted.
Outside law enforcement agencies, including those from mainland China, are not authorized to operate in Hong Kong, which enjoys wide-ranging freedoms not allowed on the mainland, including a separate legal system.
Police commissioner Lo Wai-chung said in a radio talk show last Saturday that there was no sign of mainland authorities enforcing the law in Hong Kong.
Xiao, who runs Tomorrow Holdings, a financial group headquartered in Beijing, was ranked 32nd on the 2016 Hurun China rich list, China's equivalent of the Forbes list, with an estimated net worth of $5.97 billion.
At least two of Tomorrow Group's statements posted after Xiao's disappearance on their social media account were deleted, pointing to what appears to be heightened sensitivity in Beijing over the case.

lundi 6 février 2017

Peking opera

Deleted postings about missing Chinese billionaire hint at tensions
By Julie Zhu and Venus Wu | HONG KONG
An entrance to Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong February 1, 2017, where Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua was last seen on January 27. 

A statement of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua is printed on the front page of local newspaper Ming Pao in Hong Kong, China February 1, 2017. 

Scores of China social media postings about a well-connected billionaire who went missing from a Hong Kong hotel have been deleted, pointing to what appears to be heightened sensitivity in Beijing over the case of Xiao Jianhua.
Mystery surrounds the whereabouts of Xiao, one of China's richest men who has close ties to its leaders and their relatives. 
He was last seen at Hong Kong's Four Seasons hotel in late January, with media saying he was abducted and taken to the mainland.
The case has echoes of the disappearance of five Hong Kong booksellers more than a year ago who had published books critical of China's leaders.
The booksellers' case raised concern about interference by Beijing in Hong Kong and the erosion of its freedoms, guaranteed under a 1997 deal that returned the former British colony to Chinese rule.
Authorities in Beijing have declined to comment on Xiao's case.
Hong Kong's government has also not commented. 
The city's police say they are investigating and have approached Chinese authorities to ascertain his "situation in mainland China".
Xiao's disappearance has sparked widespread media speculation that he has been drawn into Xi Jinping's crackdown on corruption, which has ensnared a string of Chinese executives.
After his disappearance, a statement from him appeared on his company's verified WeChat account saying he had not been abducted and had not been taken to mainland China.
The statement added he was "currently abroad being medically treated". 
Hong Kong police say Xiao crossed the border to mainland China.
When news of Xiao's disappearance in Hong Kong began breaking early last week, searches on Chinese search engines and social media for him generated many results, mostly links to reports related to statements he had issued via his company, Tomorrow Holdings, a financial group headquartered in Beijing.
But those posts and most reports related to Xiao have disappeared, with search results only bringing up reports about him from several weeks earlier.

DELETED POSTS

According to Freewechat.com, which tracks censored or deleted posts on China's biggest social network, WeChat, more than 40 articles with the keyword Xiao Jianhua had been censored since Jan. 30.
A similar number of reports with the word "Mingtianxi", which refers to Tomorrow Group and its subsidiaries, were also deleted.
Tencent Holdings Ltd, which operates WeChat, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
A spokesman for Sina, which runs China's Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo, told Reuters it censors and deletes posts according to its code of conduct.
But the spokesman declined to comment on any deleted posts related to Xiao and his business ties.
More social media posts purportedly detailing Xiao's business links with high-profile companies and senior leaders were also deleted over the weekend.
The Chinese government routinely censors the internet, blocking many sites it deems could challenge the rule of the Communist Party or threaten stability.
China's internet regulator did not respond to a request for comment on Monday.
Shares in firms directly or indirectly controlled by Tomorrow Group slumped on Friday, with Baotou Huazi Industry and Xishui Strong Year Co Ltd Inner Mongolia both down the maximum 10 percent.
Shares of Baotou Huazi were down 2.6 percent on Monday, while Xishui Strong Year was down nearly 5 percent.
Xiao was ranked 32nd on the 2016 Hurun China rich list, China's equivalent of the Forbes list, with an estimated net worth of $5.97 billion.

samedi 4 février 2017

Peking opera

Disappearance of Chinese Billionaire Alarms Financial Sector
By Yifan Xie in Shanghai and Josh Chin in Beijing

The Tomorrow Group building in Beijing. The group’s founder is missing and stocks connected to his business empire were battered on Friday. 

The disappearance of Chinese billionaire Xiao Jianhua, one of several prominent financial figures who have gone missing since China’s 2015 stock-market crash, is sending shivers through China’s financial sector.
The uncertainty surrounding Xiao’s whereabouts sent stocks related to his business tanking Friday as trading resumed after the Lunar New Year holiday. 
Trading volume on the Shanghai market dropped to its lowest level in more than a year amid tepid sentiment further hurt by liquidity concerns.
Speculation over Xiao’s absence erupted earlier this week with unconfirmed reports that he had been abducted in Hong Kong by Chinese law-enforcement agents. 
Hong Kong police said on Wednesday they had asked mainland authorities for more information after determining Xiao, a Hong Kong resident, had crossed into China on Jan. 27.
The news came a week after Xu Xiang, a star Chinese fund manager was sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison for stock manipulation, the highest-profile investor convicted after a summer of stock-market turmoil in 2015 wiped out a year’s worth of gains and roiled global markets.
“In a weak market, investors are very scared about any kind of uncertainty,” said Shen Zhengyang, an analyst at Northeast Securities, saying that Xiao’s sway over the market is “on a much larger scale than Xu Xiang’s.”
Xiao, who claims he models his approach on U.S. stock wizard Warren Buffett, is the founder of Tomorrow Holding, a sprawling web of investments from insurance and real estate to beet farming. After graduating from the Peking University in 1990 while still a teenager, Xiao dazzled the market by investing in unknown brokerage firms, banks and insurers just before they took off.
Now in his mid-40s, Xiao was No. 32 on the Hurun Report’s latest list of China’s wealthiest individuals with an estimated personal fortune of $6 billion.
In a brief statement late Thursday, Tomorrow Holding said the company and its subsidiaries were “operating normally.” 
It didn’t offer any news about Xiao’s status and the statement didn’t prevent shares of firms in which it has significant stakes from plummeting on Friday.
Xishui Strong Year Co. Ltd Inner Mongolia, a cement producer and insurance provider, and Baotou Huazi Industry Co., which produces sugar and electronic parts, both dropped the 10% maximum. Baotou Tomorrow Technology Co. Ltd., a chemical firm, was down 5%, the cap for shares identified as at risk for delisting.
At an aging building in a technology park in northwestern Beijing, identified as Tomorrow Holding’s address in regulatory filings, guards refused to let a reporter move past the lobby Friday afternoon.
A notice posted at the entrance of the building said Tomorrow Holding “has not received any notice requiring it to cooperate with a legal investigation.” 
It threatened legal action against media and others who spread rumors about the company.
Earlier in the week, the company posted, then deleted, two statements attributed to Xiao saying the China-born financier has a Canadian passport and was receiving medical treatment abroad. 
The second statement, in which Xiao proclaimed his loyalty to the Communist Party, also appeared as a full-page ad in Hong Kong’s Ming Pao newspaper on Wednesday.
A number of high-profile Chinese businessmen have gone missing for various lengths of time since Xi Jinping’s pledge to sweep away corruption four years ago.
Several property and energy moguls disappeared in 2013 in connection with an investigation into powerful former security czar Zhou Yongkang, who was sentenced to life in prison for corruption in 2015.
After the 2015 stock-market rout, authorities detained around a dozen securities-industry executives, accusing some of “malicious short selling,” including Xu Xiang, the founder of Shanghai-based Zexi Investment Co.
He and two others pleaded guilty in December to using hundreds of trading accounts to manipulate the stocks of dozens of companies. 
He hasn’t spoken publicly since being arrested in 2015.
Guo Guangchang, chairman of financial conglomerate Fosun International, briefly disappeared in late 2015. 
He hasn’t given details of his absence beyond saying he was assisting authorities with an unspecified investigation.
Heather Hsu, a private-equity fund manager at Shanghai Beaconbridge Investment said that even though little is known about why Xiao went missing, his disappearance recalls Mr. Guo’s.
“His absence can’t be simply a business matter,” Ms. Hsu said
Tomorrow Holding has been in the limelight before. 
In June 2008, the online edition of People’s Daily, the Communist Party’s flagship newspaper, questioned the company’s role in the listing of Pacific Securities. 
The small, Yunnan-based broker went public on the Shanghai Stock Exchange in 2007, bypassing the long queue for initial public offerings despite suffering two consecutive years of losses. 
Pacific Securities was controlled by Tomorrow Holding prior to its listing.
In response to a 2014 report by the New York Times that Xiao has helped broker deals for members of China’s political elite, including relatives of Xi Jinping, Tomorrow Holding denied that the financier’s wealth stemmed from political connections.
“Almost all of China’s top-tier investors are politically influential,” said Brock Silvers, managing director at Kaiyuan Capital, a Shanghai investment advisory firm. 
Compared with Fosun’s Guo, who was the top decision maker behind its many deals, Xiao has kept a low profile, he said.
Calls to Xishui Strong, Baotou Tomorrow Technology, and Baotou Huazi went unanswered Friday. The website of Tomorrow Holding wasn’t accessible. 
The firm didn’t respond to calls and emails seeking comments.